Welcome to my blog about horsey life in the North East - the good bits, bad bits, endless coffees and plenty of mud!

Friday 28 March 2014

More faith

Moving Rodney to a new home was a daunting prospect for me. I was worried that the bond we've worked very hard to build would drop to bits if I uprooted him from the farm where we've been for the past 18 months.

The yard we left was great in every respect - facilities, people, price - but a good thirty minute drive, often through thick traffic.

His new home is eight minutes away through quiet country lanes and has many great points - it has good facilities, amazing off-road hacking and I know lots of nice people there already. In fact, it's the yard where Rodney was living when I bought him in 2012.

We've been there for nearly a week and so far, so good. Rodney had a couple of days confined to his box after being wormed and then we've gradually been introducing him to his new field friend.

This pic was taken the first time I ever rode Rodney, way before he was even for sale.
It shows a) how cute his ears are and b) how good the riding is at our new/old yard

Before Rodney arrived, new field friend ended up getting kicked to bits and quite seriously injured in fights, so we're doing all we can to avoid this happening again. 

Which has meant rigging up a fair bit of electric fence and some artful introductions. There was one minor disaster when Rodney snapped the fence of his pen and new field friend trotted in for a brief boxing match, but thankfully no lasting damage was done.

I've been at the yard three times a day doing various bits and bobs which has given me a great opportunity to spend loads of time with Rodders, grooming, riding, doing carrot stretches with him or just giving him a neck scratch in the field. 

He's been really quite relaxed and brave despite the upheaval and my fears have subsided. Now I'm looking forward to riding out with my friends and hacking to local shows with him. Lesson learned - I should have more faith in my horse.

Happy horsing everyone x



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear he's settling in well. I moved my horses when we moved to get them closer to home, and it was nerve wracking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom :) Your new place looks superb and well done loading Arrow too x

      Delete